Curated Cuba travel experiences with experts on public health, LGBT issues, Cuban culture, cinema, history and architecture.
Personalized guided tours in English or Spanish to Pinar del Rio, Havana, Holguin, Trinidad, Cienfuegos, Santa Clara, Sancti Spiritus, Santiago de Cuba, Las Tunas, Camaguey, Bayamo, ￼Varadero, and so many others to choose from.
Wilfred W. Labiosa, Ph.D., is a public health manager, columnist, advocate, mental health therapist, coach, and Cuban Scholar who has been organizing educational and cultural journeys to the island of Cuba since 2007. He graduated from Simmons College School of Social Work and earned his Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology from Northeastern University. His topic of dissertation: The role of the revolution in the self-acceptance & coming-out process of members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community in Cuba. Originally from Puerto Rico, he has been working in the public health field for over 18 years with marginalized communities focusing in Latinos and the GLBT community. He has worked in state, national, and international projects that focused on mental health, HIV/AIDS prevention, GLBT communities, substance abuse risk factors, and treatment modalities. He has been involved with Acceso, a humanitarian organization developing bridges between Cubans in Cuba and Americans; a guest columnist for The Rainbow Times writing the Latino Vision column; and a co-host of the local Puerto Rican radio show (Univision radio), Saliendo del Closet. For more than twenty years, he has been a community organizer and speaker within the Latino LGBT community locally, nationally, and in the Caribbean Spanish speaking countries. Every year he shares his love for Cuba and the community by bringing groups to this amazing island.
List of our unique Cuba journeys, all can be arranged according to your interests and can be modified from 4 to 10 days, or even more days to explore Cuba.
Some sampling of the themes of Journeys to Cuba:
Explore the Cuba of yesterday, today!
Journey into Cuba before it begins to transform into the modern country that is expected to emerge. Visit from Havana to Holguin, from Santiago to Las Tunas, or just Pinar del Rio or Santa Clara. This ‘beginners’ trip will provide you a snapshot of the romantic revolutionary Cuba of today. This can be a four day weekend trip to just Havana or Santiago or extended up to a two week expedition throughout the island.
Learning about the GLBT Revolution occurring in Cuba of today.
This trip is held during Cuba’s annual Campaign against Homophobia, May. This unique experience provides you an insightful look into the world-renowned Cuban National Campaign against Homophobia (Cuban National LGBT Pride events) in Havana, Santa Clara, and in the province chosen, for that year. You will meet LGBT leaders, pioneers, and artists who plan this amazing plethora of events throughout the island. This is a 7 to 12 days trip. Although it is conducted usually in May, a modified schedule of this trip can be done throughout the year.
Creative Extravaganza in Cuba.
Nurture the creative process by providing an opportunity for artists to work without interruption in a supportive environment. This is the trip for painters, writers, photographers, and artists of other disciplines! At the same time of creating the Cuban creative community will enchant you. Meetings with emerging and established local artists in your discipline will be scheduled. This can be from a five to ten day trip.
Mindfulness in Cuba.
Join this unique experience that combines, yoga, meditation, food, and exploration of this unique locale. This schedule will provide you with time for yoga, and meditation every day, plus provide you with time to experience the amazing untouched landscape of Cuba. Unwind and reconnect with your authentic self in the tropical beaches of this Caribbean nation. This can be from a five to ten day retreat.
Pide tu café con leche!
Enhance your Spanish while traveling to Cuba! From beginners to advanced, you will travel to Cuba with a Spanish teacher who will emerge you into the day to day of Cuba. This unique experience can be modified from a short trip to a one-month language immersion program in either Havana or Santa Clara. This includes day trips to the beach, countryside or urban settings.
Explore the Public Health system of Cuba.
In this journey, visit local hospitals, community clinics and speak to the professionals in the field. Meet nurses, physicians, and clients. This is a unique trip as it provides you time to talk to public health officials in a intimate manner. This can be a four to ten day trip.
Writing Retreat in Cuba.
Nurture your creative process by heading to Cuba and work in a supportive environment without interruptions. Some afternoons will be scheduled to take the writer to various locales throughout Havana to ignite your creative stamina. Be able to substantially advance a project you really care about: a novel, a screenplay, an essay, a non-fiction piece. During the retreat, you will have the opportunity to reconnect with your writing and your passion for the project. Even though you will have the opportunity to implement sound writing habits and write for extended periods of time in the company of writing peers, there will be no critiquing of your work. We want to create a stress free environment so you can fall back in love with your writing. After each writing session in the morning, you’ll get a well-deserved afternoon in Havana. This can be from a five to ten day trip.
Documenting Cuba through photography, sound, and writing.
Arrive to Cuba with either a famed photographer, recognized sound artist, and/or writer. This journey will take to you to various locales throughout Cuba to provide you time to document the Cuba of yesterday. Drive in antique car, visit an artist home for coffee, or just walk alongside famous Cuban artists of today. This can be from a five to ten day trip.
Cuba es Arte!
Explore Cuba’s museums, galleries, artists’ studios, and the streets of Havana. The capital is stage to the largest collection of antique cars and colonial architecture. Art is everywhere and you will be lead by contemporary artist while you learn about the history of this unique island. For those in a two-week journey, you will experience Cuba’s film legacy as well. This trip can be from a four to two-weeks.
Journey and learn about the underground, ocean, and land of Cuba!
This ten-day trip will provide you with the opportunity to explore the caves, forest, cities, oceans, and people of Cuba. The towns of Havana, Pinar Del Rio region, Santa Clara, and Trinidad will be visited in this exciting journey. For those wanting scuba diving or parasailing, time will be allotted. You will be taking a train through sugar cane plantations and tobacco fields, and a boat ride inside a cave system in the forest.
All program includes:
- Round trip airfare.
- All hotels in Cuba for all nights; in four-five star hotels.
- All breakfasts and welcome dinner included. Option to purchase vouchers for other meals.
- All activities, shows, and entrance fees, as detailed in the schedule.
- Transport in an air-conditioned bus.
- Cuban Visa & Medical Insurance while in Cuba.
- Orientation/Preparation Meeting before departure and Overview Introduction to Cuba session.
Journey and Learn
- Day 1: Arrival to Cuba from Miami; tour of Old Havana and Plaza de la Revolución. Welcome Dinner. Day 2: Tour of Havana, walking and in the bus. Afternoon open as well as the evening. Optional: Scuba Diving Trip off the north coast of Cuba (all day). Day 3: Trip to Pina3 Del Rio. Depart in the morning to explore Pina3 del Rio Region including visiting caves, forest, hieroglyphics, and have lunch at a typical Cuban Tobacco Farm. Return in the late afternoon, evening open in Havana. Day 4: Depart to Santa Clara in the morning After a 3.5 hour trip, we will arrive in the land of Che Guevara and the Revolution Movement. We will explore the city, the burial ground of Che, and so much more. Day 5: Depart to Cayo Santa Maria in the morning (1 hour drive). We will explore the Island Keys of Santa Clara. Relax, take a boat ride, or a scuba diving trip off of this beautiful coast. Day 6: Depart to Trinidad in the morning. After a 2 hour trip arrive in this amazing UNESCO World Heritage Site to explore its beaches, colonial architecture, and considered to be the place where Cuban Typical music was born. You will also have tomorrow to explore the city on your own, relax by the beach, or do a Scuba Diving adventure. Day 7: In Trinidad. Day to explore, relax or enjoy the waters of the Caribbean Sea. Day 8: Depart to Havana. All afternoon on your own to explore, shop and celebrate your last night in Cuba. Day 9: Depart to Miami (time to be determined).
- Day 1: Arrive to Havana from Miami. Tour of Old Havana and Plaza de la Revolucion. Welcome dinner. Day 2: Walking tour of Old Havana; Visit to the Museum of the Revolution; Participate of activities of the National Cuban Campaign Against Homophobia. Day 3: Visit the Hemingway Farm House and the Museum of Cuban Modern Art Day 4: Visit to Caridad del Cobre in Old Havana; Tour and Introduction to the UNEAC; afternoon activities to be determined. Day 5: CENESEX Visit & Conga against Homophobia (Pride march and festival); Lunch at Taller de Arte Fuster in Jaimanitas Area of Havana; Afternoon on own to visit Art Market and Old Havana; Attend the GLBT Gala Revue Show at Karl Marx Theater. Day 6: Depart to Cienfuegos; Visit sites & the Beny More School for the Arts; Pride event with local activitists. Day 7: Depart to Trinidad; Walk around city and after lunch depart to Santa Clara. Visit the mausoleum of Che Guevara and other revolution related sites. Night event at El Mejunge, the first government recognized GLBT club in Cuba. Meet the artisitic director of this locale as well as other local leaders. Day 8: Visit Sancti Spiritus, the location of the Guayabera Museum and the Guajiro foundation. Eat lunch with local LGBT activists; after returning to Santa Clara, special gathering with GLBT community members. Day 9: Day to explore Santa Clara; attend the Conga against Homophobia and panel discussion at El Mejunge. Attend the cultural night & Gala Against the Homophobia of the GLBT at a local Art Center. Day 10: Depart to Havana; Afternoon to explore Havana. Day 11: Day to explore the coast of Havana and its beautiful beaches. Day 12: Departure back to Miami.
Cuba Es Arte!
- Day 1: Arrive to Havana from Miami. Tour of Old Havana and Plaza de la Revolución. Welcome dinner. Day 2: Architectural tour of Old Havana; Visit the Museum of the Revolution; Day 3: Visit the Hemingway Farm House and the Museum of Cuban Modern Art. Night soirée at a local Cuban jazz café and dance the night away to habanera and danzón music. Day 4: Visit Art Market and Old Havana; Lunch at Taller de Arte Fuster in Jaimanitas Area of Havana Day 5: Visit Havana art galleries and a local artists’ studio. Day 6: Day to explore Havana. Day 7: Departure back to Miami.
None of these programs include airfare to and from your home state to Miami, nor taxes and gratuities, or the exit Cuban tax ($25). Luggage allowed: 44 pounds for $20.00. All extra pounds will be charged at $2.00 each, plus $25 for every piece of extra luggage. Detailed schedule will be provided upon your booking. P & G Travel Services are the providers of all air and ground services. All these itineraries and travel packages meet United States OFAC regulations.